(AP) – President Barack Obama unveiled sweeping proposals to curb gun violence, including calls for Congress to pass universal background checks and an assault-weapons ban, plus 23 executive actions that don’t require congressional approval. Quotes about the proposals:
“I have no illusions about what we’re up against or how hard the task is in front of us. … We should do as much as we can, as quickly as we can. And we cannot let the perfect be the enemy of the good.” _ Vice President Joe Biden.
“I am committed to ensuring that the Senate will consider legislation that addresses gun violence and other aspects of violence in our society early this year.” _ Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev.
“Attacking firearms and ignoring children is not a solution to the crisis we face as a nation. Only honest, law-abiding gun owners will be affected and our children will remain vulnerable to the inevitability of more tragedy.” _ National Rifle Association.
“There’s an extraordinary disconnect between what the American public wants _ including gun owners and NRA members _ and what our elected officials are doing about it.” _ Dan Gross, president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence.
“Nothing the president is proposing would have stopped the massacre at Sandy Hook. … Rather than sweeping measures that make it harder for responsible, law-abiding citizens to purchase firearms, we should focus on the root causes of gun violence and keep guns out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill.” _ Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla.
“There’s a slow-motion Sandy Hook going on in every community in America…. The center of the gun debate should not be Washington. It should be the streets of America, where …there’s a much deeper consensus than there is in the halls of Congress.” _ Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak.
“President Obama’s series of gun control measures amount to an executive power grab that may please his political base but will not solve the problems at hand.” _ Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus.
“We know we’re not going to eliminate all gun violence, but certainly diminish the possibility of having another Newtown. … I believe all the major law enforcement organizations will support the administration. So this is a good day.” _ New York City Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly.
“I truly believe that the will of the people makes a difference, and I’m calling on everyone to have the courage to stand up and help us make that difference. We should never again visit a tragedy such as we had in Newtown, Conn. It’s time for us to make a change.” _ E. Patricia Llodra, first selectwoman of Newtown, Conn.
“The recent tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School is heartbreaking and beyond words. However, the gun control plans brought forward by President Obama fail to address the real issues and I’m confident there will be bipartisan opposition to his proposal.” _ Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C.
“We must take action. If you think that this cannot happen to you, and that you will never be touched by gun violence, you are fooling yourself.” _ Sandy Phillips, mother of Jessica Ghawi, one of the 12 people killed last July at a movie theater in Aurora, Colo.
“My son is still partially paralyzed. You don’t think that when I see him, how I know his life was changed forever? Or not to have a husband?” _ Rep. Carolyn McCarthy, D-N.Y., whose husband was killed and son was wounded in a 1993 mass shooting on a train.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.