WASHINGTON (AP) – President Barack Obama warned Rwandan President Paul Kagame on Tuesday that any support for the M23 rebel group in eastern Congo is “inconsistent with Rwanda’s desire for stability and peace” in the war-torn region.
The White House said Obama stressed to Kagame in a phone call “the importance of permanently ending all support to armed groups” in Congo, where the M23 is operating despite a major peacekeeping operation there.
A recent U.N. report accused the Rwandan government of backing the rebels, a charge that Kagame’s government has denied. The rebels have been accused of rape, using child soldiers and conducting summary executions in eastern Congo.
In the call with Kagame, the White House said Obama “underscored that any support to the rebel group M23 is inconsistent with Rwanda’s desire for stability and peace.” The president urged Kagame to abide by recent commitments he made with the leaders of Congo and Uganda to address the crisis and said an agreement needs to emerge from the crisis “that includes an end to impunity for M23 commanders and others who have committed serious human rights abuses.”
The White House said Obama “welcomed President Kagame’s commitment to moving forward in finding a peaceful solution” in eastern Congo.
Members of Congress and human rights groups have pressed the Obama administration to do more to address the security and humanitarian crisis in Congo, where an estimated 5 million people have been killed since a second regional war began in 1997.
On Nov. 20, M23 rebels seized the town of Goma in Eastern Congo, which is estimated to have mineral deposits worth trillions of dollars.
Human rights groups have asked Obama to appoint a presidential envoy to the embattled country and to cut off aid to Rwanda.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths