WASHINGTON (AP) – President Barack Obama warned Rwandan President Paul Kagame on Tuesday that any support for the M23 rebel group in eastern Congo is “inconsistent with Rwanda’s desire for stability and peace” in the war-torn region.
The White House said Obama stressed to Kagame in a phone call “the importance of permanently ending all support to armed groups” in Congo, where the M23 is operating despite a major peacekeeping operation there.
A recent U.N. report accused the Rwandan government of backing the rebels, a charge that Kagame’s government has denied. The rebels have been accused of rape, using child soldiers and conducting summary executions in eastern Congo.
In the call with Kagame, the White House said Obama “underscored that any support to the rebel group M23 is inconsistent with Rwanda’s desire for stability and peace.” The president urged Kagame to abide by recent commitments he made with the leaders of Congo and Uganda to address the crisis and said an agreement needs to emerge from the crisis “that includes an end to impunity for M23 commanders and others who have committed serious human rights abuses.”
The White House said Obama “welcomed President Kagame’s commitment to moving forward in finding a peaceful solution” in eastern Congo.
Members of Congress and human rights groups have pressed the Obama administration to do more to address the security and humanitarian crisis in Congo, where an estimated 5 million people have been killed since a second regional war began in 1997.
On Nov. 20, M23 rebels seized the town of Goma in Eastern Congo, which is estimated to have mineral deposits worth trillions of dollars.
Human rights groups have asked Obama to appoint a presidential envoy to the embattled country and to cut off aid to Rwanda.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon