WASHINGTON (AP) – President Barack Obama’s inaugural committee raised more than $43 million for his second inauguration, with corporations chipping in a major portion.
Reports filed with the Federal Election Commission show the committee fell about $7 million short of its $50 million fundraising goal.
For his first inauguration, Obama raised $53 million in private money, turning away corporations and individual contributions exceeding $50,000. This time, Obama reversed that policy.
The biggest sum came from AT&T Inc., who gave $4.6 million. Microsoft Corp. donated $2.1 million. Boeing Co. and Chevron Corp. gave a million each.
The largest individual donation of $500,000 came from Timothy Gill, a technology entrepreneur and gay rights activist.
The government pays for official activities like the swearing-in, but donations fund the inaugural balls and other celebrations.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets