MIAMI (AP) – President Barack Obama says the U.S. must continue updating its policies toward Cuba.
Obama says the U.S. has started to see changes on the island. Obama says U.S. policy aims will remain the same but the nation must find new tools to speak out.
Obama points out that he was born around the same time Fidel Castro took power. He says it doesn’t make sense that policies put in place more than 50 years ago would still be effective in the Internet age. The U.S. cut off diplomatic relations with Cuba in 1961 and imposed a full economic embargo the next year.
The administration has engaged in recent discussions about migration and mail and relaxed travel and remittance rules for Cuban Americans.
Obama spoke at a Democratic fundraiser in Miami.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development