Southern Arizona highway partially reopened after fire forced closure
PHOENIX — A southern Arizona highway was partially reopened after a brush fire forced it to close in both directions during rush hour on Wednesday, the Arizona Department of Transportation announced.
State Route 83 was originally closed in both directions due to a brush fire.
It partially reopened around 7:30 p.m.
The department said drivers were using the southbound lanes between mileposts 44 and 45 to get by.
The highway was closed in both directions around 4:45 p.m.
The southbound lane was originally closed at milepost 54.
The northbound lane was originally closed at milepost 45 and State Route 82 in Sonoita.
There was no estimated reopening time for the entire highway.
- Arizona ruling: Stiffer sentences law doesn’t include animal victims
- Most of Arizona under severe fire restrictions for Memorial Day weekend
- Part of I-10 reopened at 40th Street in Phoenix after large vehicle fire
- Something’s missing in HBO’s new film on John McCain’s life
- Major upgrades planned for Margaret T. Hance Park in Phoenix