Valley chefs, restaurateur named as James Beard Award semi-finalists
PHOENIX — Three Valley chefs and one restaurateur are one step closer to taking home a coveted award that is only granted to local businesses dubbed as American classics.
Silvana Salcido Esparza, Kevin Binkley, Charleen Badman and Sam Fox were all named as semi-finalists for the 28th annual James Beard Foundation Awards.
Esparza, Binkley and Badman were all named as semi-finalists for the best chef in the Southwest, while Fox was named as an “outstanding restaurateur” semi-finalist for Fox Restaurant Concepts.
Badman is the chef at FnB in Scottsdale, while both Binkley and Esparza are chefs at their respective Phoenix restaurants. Esparza is the chef at Barrio Café Gran Reserva and Binkley heads Binkley’s Restaurant.
The restaurant connoisseurs were picked from a list of more than 20,000 online entries, according to a press release.
The final nominees will be announced on March 14.
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- Motorcyclist killed by impaired driver in Phoenix crash
- Scottsdale, not Tempe or Tucson, rated as Arizona’s best college town
- Phoenix residents buy gates to block alleys — with city’s blessing
- The end is coming for the sell-by date, and this will make your life better
- Phoenix police can now crowdsource evidence of crimes from residents