Valley chefs, restaurateur named as James Beard Award semi-finalists
PHOENIX — Three Valley chefs and one restaurateur are one step closer to taking home a coveted award that is only granted to local businesses dubbed as American classics.
Silvana Salcido Esparza, Kevin Binkley, Charleen Badman and Sam Fox were all named as semi-finalists for the 28th annual James Beard Foundation Awards.
Esparza, Binkley and Badman were all named as semi-finalists for the best chef in the Southwest, while Fox was named as an “outstanding restaurateur” semi-finalist for Fox Restaurant Concepts.
Badman is the chef at FnB in Scottsdale, while both Binkley and Esparza are chefs at their respective Phoenix restaurants. Esparza is the chef at Barrio Café Gran Reserva and Binkley heads Binkley’s Restaurant.
The restaurant connoisseurs were picked from a list of more than 20,000 online entries, according to a press release.
The final nominees will be announced on March 14.
- Ex-Phoenix Fire captain gets prison in sexual assault case
- Eight people, including children, involved in rollover crash in Phoenix
- Scottsdale racer survives 344 mph motorcycle crash during record try
- Phoenix police looking for person suspected of fatally shooting dog
- Phoenix hopes to score touchdown with another Super Bowl push