Flagstaff police: officers fatally shoot a man who was pointing a gun
FLAGSTAFF — Flagstaff police say two officers fatally shot a 78-year-old man who pointed a gun at a woman and the officers in downtown Flagstaff.
Sgt. Cory Runge says the incident occurred Friday night in the downtown area after officers responded to a report of an armed man confronting a woman.
Runge says John Hamilton of Flagstaff was shot after he ignored repeated commands from the officers over several minutes to drop his gun and not wave it around.
No officers were injured. The two officers who fired at Hamilton were placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of an investigation.
Runge says such an investigation is standard in such incidents and that it will be conducted by a multi agency team.
According to a press release from the Flagstaff Police Department, audio and video recordings of the incident were captured and could possibly be released following the investigation.
- Arizona Snowbowl closed on President’s Day due to high winds
- Forest Service reins in Arizona forest-thinning project
- Cooler weather coming to Phoenix area, snow to fall in high country
- Arizona court backs Hopi lawsuit against Flagstaff snowmaking
- Two Arizona DPS employees injured in I-17 crash; Suspect in custody