Flagstaff police: officers fatally shoot a man who was pointing a gun
FLAGSTAFF — Flagstaff police say two officers fatally shot a 78-year-old man who pointed a gun at a woman and the officers in downtown Flagstaff.
Sgt. Cory Runge says the incident occurred Friday night in the downtown area after officers responded to a report of an armed man confronting a woman.
Runge says John Hamilton of Flagstaff was shot after he ignored repeated commands from the officers over several minutes to drop his gun and not wave it around.
No officers were injured. The two officers who fired at Hamilton were placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of an investigation.
Runge says such an investigation is standard in such incidents and that it will be conducted by a multi agency team.
According to a press release from the Flagstaff Police Department, audio and video recordings of the incident were captured and could possibly be released following the investigation.
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- Tornado touches down near I-40 in Northern Arizona
- Snow looks pretty but could make for messy driving in Arizona high country
- A little more rain predicted to spray Phoenix area this week
- NAU student lists dorm room on Airbnb, school to take action
- Flagstaff sees large apple crop due to absence of late frost