Flagstaff police: officers fatally shoot a man who was pointing a gun
FLAGSTAFF — Flagstaff police say two officers fatally shot a 78-year-old man who pointed a gun at a woman and the officers in downtown Flagstaff.
Sgt. Cory Runge says the incident occurred Friday night in the downtown area after officers responded to a report of an armed man confronting a woman.
Runge says John Hamilton of Flagstaff was shot after he ignored repeated commands from the officers over several minutes to drop his gun and not wave it around.
No officers were injured. The two officers who fired at Hamilton were placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of an investigation.
Runge says such an investigation is standard in such incidents and that it will be conducted by a multi agency team.
According to a press release from the Flagstaff Police Department, audio and video recordings of the incident were captured and could possibly be released following the investigation.
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- ‘Atmospheric river’ likely to drench Phoenix area on Valentine’s Day
- Heavy snow and rain expected to hit northern Arizona this week
- Video shows man killed by Flagstaff police charged at them with knives
- Heads of Mesa vocational school EVIT placed on leave during investigation
- Several highway improvement projects planned for northern Arizona