Arizona jail employee arrested for allegedly dating teenage girl
PHOENIX — An employee of an Arizona correctional facility was arrested Friday on suspicion of dating a teenage girl, officials said.
The Florence Police Department said it first learned of the alleged relationship between 46-year-old Paul Thornton and a 16-year-old girl after a person reported them kissing near the Merrill Ranch area of Florence.
Police said the girl admitted to having a nearly yearlong relationship with Thornton when she was contacted by investigators. Thornton was aware of her age.
She also allegedly said they had engaged in sexual conduct since April.
Thornton was charged with four counts of sexual misconduct with a minor, a Class 6 felony. More charges could be filed.
He was booked into the Pinal County Jail.
Thornton is a captain at the Red Rocks Correctional Facility in Eloy.
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- Mesa officers preparing for President Donald Trump’s rally on Friday
- Stanton responds to union claim that inaction as mayor led to robbery
- 2 arrested after Buckeye kids found living in filthy, fly-infested home
- Suspect in shooting of 7 officers bragged about gun skills
- Phoenix police searching for suspect in 2006 murder