Arizona jail employee arrested for allegedly dating teenage girl
PHOENIX — An employee of an Arizona correctional facility was arrested Friday on suspicion of dating a teenage girl, officials said.
The Florence Police Department said it first learned of the alleged relationship between 46-year-old Paul Thornton and a 16-year-old girl after a person reported them kissing near the Merrill Ranch area of Florence.
Police said the girl admitted to having a nearly yearlong relationship with Thornton when she was contacted by investigators. Thornton was aware of her age.
She also allegedly said they had engaged in sexual conduct since April.
Thornton was charged with four counts of sexual misconduct with a minor, a Class 6 felony. More charges could be filed.
He was booked into the Pinal County Jail.
Thornton is a captain at the Red Rocks Correctional Facility in Eloy.
- Chandler police arrest suspect in attempted kidnapping at park
- Lights festival outside of Phoenix to begin after being postponed in October
- Southern Arizona police officer dies; suspect in custody
- Tucson man arrested, charged with luring minor in Florence
- ASU police warn of suspected sex traffickers targeting college parties