Mexican food and pizza among most popular cuisines in Phoenix
PHOENIX — In case you weren’t already aware, Phoenix residents like Mexican food and pizza. A lot.
According to data provided by The Pudding, Phoenix residents ranked in the top 10 in the nation in terms of restaurant visits to pizzerias and Mexican restaurants.
The data mapped the popularity of each style of cuisine — from Mexican to seafood to BBQ — in every county in the U.S. Not surprisingly, Mexican food was the most popular in the state.
According to the data, Phoenix ranked fifth nationally in popularity of Mexican food.
The high ranking of pizzerias may come as a surprise when you consider the popularity in other regions of the country like the Midwest or the Northeast. Phoenix ranked ninth in the country.
The maps show just how popular Mexican food is in the Southwest and how much of an impact it has on Arizona residents’ restaurant choices.
Arizona restaurants like Barrio Café and Pizzeria Bianco have become famous in the state over the past years for their focus on authenticity.
And with Valentine’s Day quickly approaching, it may be a good time to scout some of these restaurants and make a reservation.
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- Weekend wrap-up: Here are the biggest Arizona stories from May 24-26
- Multivehicle crash in Phoenix leaves 1 dead, others injured
- Hello world! Baby jaguar born this week at West Valley zoo
- Bill Montgomery, David Tierney discuss crime in Arizona
- Prime pool weather expected in Valley for Memorial Day weekend