Former Mesa officer arrested in 1995 child molestation case
PHOENIX — A former Mesa Police Department officer was arrested for child molestation in a case that dated back to 1995.
According to a press release, Gerald Salcido was arrested in Orem, Utah, on three counts of sexual conduct with a minor on Jan. 5.
At the time of his arrest, Salcido was working as a deputy for the Utah County Sheriff’s Department. Salcido also worked as an officer for the Mesa Police Department from 1980 to 1986.
In 1995, two juvenile victims reported being molested by Salcido in Mesa ten years prior. But the case went cold when detectives did not have enough evidence to move forward with the molestation charges.
In September, a new witness came forward in the case, allowing it to be re-opened.
Mesa detectives then used the new information to conduct follow-up interviews in Utah, which provided them with enough to submit the criminal charges to the Maricopa County Attorney’s Office.
Salcido is currently awaiting extradition back to Arizona, where the case will continue. It was unclear Tuesday if the 63-year-old Salcido has an attorney yet.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Glendale officer released from hospital after being shot, injured
- Flagstaff cop who punched woman in video indicted again for assault
- Phoenix area posts second-largest increase in construction jobs in US
- Las Vegas shooting victim throws out first pitch at Cubs game
- Off Central: Valley girls take part in first responder preparedness course