TANEYTOWN, Md. (AP) — Fire officials in Maryland have blamed two fires on people trying to thaw frozen pipes.
WBFF-TV in Baltimore reported that one fire occurred Sunday afternoon in Taneytown, which is east of Hagerstown. No injuries were reported.
The Maryland Fire Marshal’s Office attributed the cause of the blaze to the use of a blowtorch to heat pipes. Officials said about 90 firefighters fought the blaze, which caused about $300,000 in damage.
Officials said a maintenance worker used a heat gun and a hair dryer to thaw pipes in a townhouse. The maintenance worker and the occupant were able to safely escape.
The Fire Marshall’s Office said in a statement that another fire began under similar circumstances Sunday in Edgewood, an area northeast of Baltimore.
Information from: WBFF-TV, http://www.foxbaltimore.com/baltimore_md/
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.