Woman dies, 3 hurt in 4-car accident at Phoenix intersection
PHOENIX — A woman has died and three other people were seriously injured in a multivehicle accident on a west Phoenix street.
Police Sgt. Vince Lewis said the four-car collision Sunday night at 51st Avenue and McDowell Road closed the intersection for a few hours.
Lewis said in a statement that the woman lost control of her car around 6 p.m. as she headed west on McDowell Road. She sideswiped another vehicle that was going west, spun into the intersection and was hit on the passenger side by an eastbound vehicle.
The woman had to be freed from the wreckage of her car with hydraulic rescue tools. She died at a hospital.
A fourth vehicle was struck by one of the other vehicles in a chain reaction.
Three more people were hurt but they were treated at the scene and released, a spokeswoman for the Phoenix Fire Department said.
- No Phoenix-area freeway closures scheduled for June 15 weekend
- Funding sought for study on rising violence in Phoenix police encounters
- Two I-10 ramps to permanently close for South Mountain Freeway work
- Drivers should be aware of northern Arizona wildlife during monsoons
- Phoenix police arrest 2 suspects, barricade ends with house fire