Woman dies, 3 hurt in 4-car accident at Phoenix intersection
PHOENIX — A woman has died and three other people were seriously injured in a multivehicle accident on a west Phoenix street.
Police Sgt. Vince Lewis said the four-car collision Sunday night at 51st Avenue and McDowell Road closed the intersection for a few hours.
Lewis said in a statement that the woman lost control of her car around 6 p.m. as she headed west on McDowell Road. She sideswiped another vehicle that was going west, spun into the intersection and was hit on the passenger side by an eastbound vehicle.
The woman had to be freed from the wreckage of her car with hydraulic rescue tools. She died at a hospital.
A fourth vehicle was struck by one of the other vehicles in a chain reaction.
Three more people were hurt but they were treated at the scene and released, a spokeswoman for the Phoenix Fire Department said.
- ADOT gives more time to vote in Arizona creative freeway sign contest
- Part of Interstate 17 in north Phoenix reopens after vehicle fire
- Interstate 17 closes in Phoenix as police talk down suicidal man
- Driver takes wrong turn, rolls into Phoenix canal
- Three dead, one hurt after car crashes into pedestrians in Fountain Hills