Woman dies, 3 hurt in 4-car accident at Phoenix intersection
PHOENIX — A woman has died and three other people were seriously injured in a multivehicle accident on a west Phoenix street.
Police Sgt. Vince Lewis said the four-car collision Sunday night at 51st Avenue and McDowell Road closed the intersection for a few hours.
Lewis said in a statement that the woman lost control of her car around 6 p.m. as she headed west on McDowell Road. She sideswiped another vehicle that was going west, spun into the intersection and was hit on the passenger side by an eastbound vehicle.
The woman had to be freed from the wreckage of her car with hydraulic rescue tools. She died at a hospital.
A fourth vehicle was struck by one of the other vehicles in a chain reaction.
Three more people were hurt but they were treated at the scene and released, a spokeswoman for the Phoenix Fire Department said.
- Phoenix-area child transported to hospital with gunshot wound
- Phoenix police arrest 86 men in human trafficking sting
- Rock n’ Roll Marathon to hinder Valley traffic, change transit schedules
- Phoenix defends decision to oust homeless from traffic triangle
- Workers find 2 bodies inside truck in Phoenix-area canal