Woman dies, 3 hurt in 4-car accident at Phoenix intersection
PHOENIX — A woman has died and three other people were seriously injured in a multivehicle accident on a west Phoenix street.
Police Sgt. Vince Lewis said the four-car collision Sunday night at 51st Avenue and McDowell Road closed the intersection for a few hours.
Lewis said in a statement that the woman lost control of her car around 6 p.m. as she headed west on McDowell Road. She sideswiped another vehicle that was going west, spun into the intersection and was hit on the passenger side by an eastbound vehicle.
The woman had to be freed from the wreckage of her car with hydraulic rescue tools. She died at a hospital.
A fourth vehicle was struck by one of the other vehicles in a chain reaction.
Three more people were hurt but they were treated at the scene and released, a spokeswoman for the Phoenix Fire Department said.
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- Officer-involved shooting in Phoenix leaves suspect in critical condition
- Sections of two West Valley highways will be closed this weekend
- Pedestrian killed in Phoenix when trailer’s back wheels went on sidewalk
- Wrong-way driver misses oncoming traffic on Loop 101 in Tempe
- Beyonce, Jay-Z concert could snarl West Valley traffic on Wednesday