Smooth sailing: No Arizona freeway closures planned for Jan. 5 weekend
PHOENIX — The holiday season is officially over, but the Arizona Department of Transportation has one more gift for Valley drivers: There will be no state freeway closures during the Jan. 5 weekend.
That’s right: The department announced that it is not scheduling any closures or major lane restrictions along Valley freeways from Friday night through Monday morning.
“Drivers should focus on safety while behind the wheel, including obeying speed limits, avoiding distractions and never driving while impaired. Please use caution when approaching and traveling through existing work zones.”
However, that does not mean that drivers should expect smooth sailing this weekend: The department is still warning motorists to be aware of any accidents, slowing or other road conditions.
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- Southern California agency OKs water plan that awaits Arizona’s approval
- Phoenix-area commute ranked as one of most expensive in the nation
- APS, Suns grant more than $48,000 to Arizona teachers for STEM projects
- Arizona’s high country still plagued by drought, despite recent storms
- Arizonans frustrated by unrelenting robocalls may soon find some relief