Records: Buckeye woman tried to kill self after shooting son
BUCKEYE, Ariz. — Court documents showed a Buckeye woman who police said shot her 2-year-old son to death tried to kill herself with the same gun but the next bullet was loaded backward in the magazine.
Alyssa Pettibone was being held in lieu of $750,000 bond Tuesday after being booked into jail on suspicion of second-degree murder Monday. It was unclear if she has a lawyer yet.
Buckeye police said they received a 911 call about a shooting at a home last Friday afternoon.
A probable cause statement said Pettibone’s mother told officers her daughter had shot her son and then tried to kill herself.
Police said Pettibone was found with several stab wounds believed to be self-inflicted. She was booked into jail Monday after treatment.
Buckeye is about 35 miles (56 kilometers) southwest of Phoenix.
- Buckeye woman dies after being struck in chest with stray bullet
- Residents didn’t heed voluntary evacuation before California mudslide
- Dental chain with Arizona locations to pay $24M in false claims settlement
- 1-year-old boy dies after being found unresponsive in Phoenix home
- Nearly 8,000 Arizonans diagnosed with flu in 2017, large spike over 2016