Palo Verde Middle School teacher gets monthly KTAR News award
PHOENIX — The holidays came early for one Arizona teacher who was honored with KTAR News 92.3 FM’s Tribute to a Teacher Award this month.
Barbie Firkus, an English as a second language teacher at Palo Verde Middle School in Phoenix, was awarded $1,000 for the honor from Mac & Gaydos.
When asked what she will do with the money, Firkus took some suggestions from her students, which included purchasing chicken nachos and M&Ms, and said she would use it to pay off the credit cards that she uses to purchase items for her classroom.
If you would like to nominate a teacher to win the monthly award, click here.
Mac & Gaydos
- Study: Arizona a top state for net growth in migration
- Arizona ranked among top 10 most federally dependent states
- Powerball jackpot grows to $550M, among top 10 in the game’s history
- Couple accused of attempting to smuggle Mexican migrant into Arizona
- St. Patrick’s weekend DUI arrests in Arizona continue upward trend