Palo Verde Middle School teacher gets monthly KTAR News award
PHOENIX — The holidays came early for one Arizona teacher who was honored with KTAR News 92.3 FM’s Tribute to a Teacher Award this month.
Barbie Firkus, an English as a second language teacher at Palo Verde Middle School in Phoenix, was awarded $1,000 for the honor from Mac & Gaydos.
When asked what she will do with the money, Firkus took some suggestions from her students, which included purchasing chicken nachos and M&Ms, and said she would use it to pay off the credit cards that she uses to purchase items for her classroom.
If you would like to nominate a teacher to win the monthly award, click here.
Mac & Gaydos
- Arizona gets $195K judgment against fraudulent landscaper
- Attorneys for wrong-way driver blame Arizona sergeant for crash, injuries
- Former Rep. Ed Pastor of Arizona to be buried after week of memorials
- Arizona ranked 5th-best state for elder abuse protections
- Pearl Harbor has been memorialized all across Arizona