Palo Verde Middle School teacher gets monthly KTAR News award
PHOENIX — The holidays came early for one Arizona teacher who was honored with KTAR News 92.3 FM’s Tribute to a Teacher Award this month.
Barbie Firkus, an English as a second language teacher at Palo Verde Middle School in Phoenix, was awarded $1,000 for the honor from Mac & Gaydos.
When asked what she will do with the money, Firkus took some suggestions from her students, which included purchasing chicken nachos and M&Ms, and said she would use it to pay off the credit cards that she uses to purchase items for her classroom.
If you would like to nominate a teacher to win the monthly award, click here.
Mac & Gaydos
- Here are the restaurants participating in Arizona Restaurant Week
- President Donald Trump will not make Phoenix visit this month
- 8 dead, three injured after head-on crash in south-central Arizona
- GOP goes back to the immigration well in Arizona
- Beyonce, Jay-Z concert could snarl West Valley traffic on Wednesday