Phoenix-area Air Force base takes blame for southern Arizona booms
TUCSON, Ariz. — Officials said an Air Force base in the Phoenix area may be responsible for booms heard and felt in parts of southern Arizona.
Luke Air Force Base officials said they are conducting exercises with the Singapore air force, involving training flights with various aircraft in areas near Tucson and over to Yuma.
Officials said the exercise coined Forging Sabre occurs every other year and will run until Dec. 11. Residents can expect more flights on nights and weekends.
Residents in various locations in and around Tucson reported rumbling booms that rattled houses earlier this week.
The reports prompted inquiries to various federal and state agencies, which didn’t have an explanation for the loud booms.
- New zip line gives visitors a thrilling view of the Grand Canyon
- Tempe City Hall selected as ugliest building in Arizona
- Phoenix restaurant Coup Des Tartes to permanently close its doors
- Arizona plan to combat opioids would limit dosages, amounts
- Arizona has just 21 foster families for refugee children