Northern Arizona highway closing for winter, expected to reopen in May
PHOENIX — A highway in northern Arizona near the Grand Canyon will be closed for the winter early next week and will likely not reopen until sometime in May.
The Arizona Department of Transportation said State Route 67 between Jacob Lake and the North Rim would be closed Tuesday.
The agency does not clear snow from the road because visitor accommodations on the North Rim — including the visitors center — are closed for the winter as well.
The planned closure will come as Arizona is in the midst of a dry spell. A majority of the state has yet to receive any significant snowfall.
- Flagstaff elementary school teacher accused of child molestation
- Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey says future of Tent City still up in the air
- Group: Border Patrol agents destroy immigrant aid in Arizona desert
- Bill would raise minimum insurance requirements for Arizona drivers
- South Mountain Freeway construction to close Interstate 10 ramps