Northern Arizona highway closing for winter, expected to reopen in May
PHOENIX — A highway in northern Arizona near the Grand Canyon will be closed for the winter early next week and will likely not reopen until sometime in May.
The Arizona Department of Transportation said State Route 67 between Jacob Lake and the North Rim would be closed Tuesday.
The agency does not clear snow from the road because visitor accommodations on the North Rim — including the visitors center — are closed for the winter as well.
The planned closure will come as Arizona is in the midst of a dry spell. A majority of the state has yet to receive any significant snowfall.
- Arizona parks well-suited for families looking to take a last-minute vacation
- Border agents arrest 2 in Arizona for alleged attempted meth smuggling
- Prosecutors change policy for marijuana smuggling in Arizona
- Southbound I-17 reopened at Indian School Road after police incident
- Weekend wrap-up: Biggest Arizona-related stories from this past weekend