Interstate 17 near downtown Phoenix to be restricted over Nov. 17 weekend
PHOENIX — The weekend is nearly here, but Phoenix-area residents should not have to worry about too much traffic due to highway closures.
According to the Arizona Department of Transportation, just one highway will be restricted over the Nov. 17 weekend.
The southbound Interstate 17 will be narrowed to two lanes near Seventh Avenue from 9 p.m. on Friday to 11 p.m. on Saturday to allow crews to work on the bridge. Seventh Avenue will also be closed in both directions at the I-17 during this time.
The southbound I-17 on-ramp at Bethany Home Road and off-ramp at Thomas Road will be closed from 9 p.m. on Friday to 9 a.m. on Saturday to allow for the installation of a wrong-way vehicle detection system.
The northbound I-17 frontage road will be closed between Encanto Boulevard and Thomas Road during that time as well.
The closures come just days after a myriad of I-17 on- and off-ramps were closed overnight for the installation of the $3.7 million wrong-way driver detection system.
The detection system is designed to trigger alerts — including illuminated signs and flashing lights — in an effort to get drivers to stop.
Installation of the thermal detection cameras are expected to be complete by the end of the month.
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- First Place opens with aim to help adults with autism gain independence
- Owner of Phoenix pub donates nearly $13K in sales to Florence victims
- Ducey, Garcia facing off Monday in first Arizona gubernatorial debate
- Report: Buckeye top Arizona city for income equality
- ADOT’s $28.7M land sale near Sky Harbor will help fund I-10 widening