Family taken to hospital, used barbecue grill to warm home
PHOENIX — A family of four was taken to a Phoenix hospital early Tuesday possibly suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning after using a barbecue grill to warm their apartment.
The unidentified family was found in varying medical conditions a ground-floor unit at a complex near 30th Street and Indian School Road. A spokesman for the Phoenix Fire Department said a man in the apartment was unconscious and that the woman had reportedly had seizures.
The children — an infant and a 4-year-old — didn’t show any signs of harm from breathing the colorless, odorless gas. Signs of carbon-monoxide poisoning include dizziness, headache, nausea and difficulty breathing.
Two crews arrived at the unit around 5 a.m., one responding to a call about a woman having seizures and the other about a “fire alarm indicator” that turned out to be a carbon-monoxide alarm.
No other details were immediately available.
- Lockdown lifted on Peoria buildings after ‘suspicious’ package found
- Cool front expected to blow into Arizona but little chance for rain, snow
- Phoenix Madison Square Garden once the center for events in the Valley
- Phoenix-area group donates food-filled backpacks to hungry schoolkids
- Teenager leads deputies to house where 12 others locked up