Self-driving Uber vehicle involved in 3-car accident in Tempe
PHOENIX — An Uber self-driving car was involved in a multi-vehicle accident in Tempe on Friday that injured one person, police said.
Tempe Police spokesman Ron Elcock said the accident occurred around 1 p.m. on Friday near Apache Boulevard and Terrace Road, but did not specify what caused the accident.
Elcock said a different vehicle left the scene and was located shortly after the accident. An unidentified victim was taken to a local hospital with non life-threatening injuries, but their status is currently unknown.
The accident also did not cause any road closures, Elcock said.
This isn’t the first time an Uber self-driving vehicle was involved in an accident in Tempe: In March, an Uber SUV was hit by another car making a left turn. No one was seriously injured and the company temporarily grounded its vehicles shortly after to conduct an investigation.
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- Arizona won’t have drought plan done by deadline, officials say
- Dolphinaris Arizona isn’t permanently closed, despite lack of signage
- Data breach may have affected 50 Arizona businesses in January
- Free tax preparation available for qualified Tempe residents
- Burgerim opens location in Gilbert, two more planned for the Valley