Maricopa County earmarks $1M for payouts in Arpaio lawsuit
PHOENIX — Maricopa County officials earmarked Wednesday $1 million for compensation to people who were illegally detained under former Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio.
The Maricopa County Board of Supervisors voted unanimously to establish the fund, which was ordered by a federal judge during Arpaio’s racial profiling case.
The $1 million included an initial $500,000 that will be given to victims. More could be added if necessary.
The remaining funds were to be used to hire a third party to help the county disperse the funds and to identify and confirm victims.
The payments will range between $500 and $10,000, depending on the circumstances and how long the person was detained.
12 News reported that at least 180 victims would qualify for compensation.
People who believe they were falsely detained between Dec. 23, 2011 and May 24, 2013 must submit a claim.
Arpaio’s case has cost Maricopa County taxpayers a pretty penny. Earlier this year, it was estimated that court costs in his case would be nearly $100 million.
Arpaio was found guilty of misdemeanor contempt of court for prolonging immigration patrols for nearly a year and a half after he was ordered to stop them.
President Donald Trump pardoned Arpaio late last month, saying the former lawman spent his life protecting the public from crime and illegal immigration.
“Arpaio is now 85 years old, and after more than 50 years of admirable service to our nation, he is worthy candidate for a presidential pardon,” a White House statement said.
- The Latest: Time magazine says Trump’s got it wrong
- AP source: Flynn lawyers make a break with Trump team
- What would it mean for Arizonans if ‘net neutrality’ rules are repealed?
- MCSO sheriff says his department is improving on racial-profiling reforms
- Trump all but endorses GOP’s Moore despite sex accusations