Safe and sound: Mesa ranked among safest cities in the US
PHOENIX — Residents of Mesa, Arizona, can sleep extra soundly tonight knowing that their city is one of the safest in the nation.
That’s right: Mesa ranked No. 8 in the nation for safest metropolitan cities, according to SafeWise.com. The Phoenix-area city placed above Los Angeles and Boston.
SafeWise.com said Mesa “keeps the heat on criminals by effective policing that utilizes community outreach and increased training and transparency for better accountability. Residents of this high-desert city enjoy both lower-than-average rates of crime and wide economic and racial diversity among neighborhoods.”
While Mesa was the only Arizona city to crack the top 10, Phoenix was ranked at No. 20 and Tucson was given an honorable mention for showing “improvement in crime rates over previous years.”
Other cities that joined Mesa in the top 10 rankings were: New York City; El Paso, Texas; Virginia Beach, Virginia; San Diego; Santa Ana, California; San Jose, California and Tampa, Florida.
The home security website said it determined its rankings based on an “aggregation of violent crime and property crime per 1,000 residents.” The violent and property crime statistics were taken from 2015 FBI data.
- FBI searching for 2 suspects in violent casino robbery in Payson
- 3 Arizona cities rank among best in nation for first-time home buyers
- Prosecutors say Russian hackers leased servers in Arizona, Illinois
- Arizonans who fall in love online could be victims of romance scam
- Mistrial declared for ex-Arizona regulator charged with bribery