Milwaukee Brewers mulling possible spring training move to Gilbert
PHOENIX — Maryvale Baseball Park has been the spring training home of the Milwaukee Brewers for nearly 20 years but that may soon be coming to an end.
The team confirmed reports Friday that it has had discussions with town officials over a move to Gilbert.
“We believe there may be a great deal of community support for the Brewers to relocate in the town of Gilbert,” Bob Quinn, the team’s executive vice president of finance and administration, said.
Gilbert said it looked into the idea and studied any benefits such a move may have.
“It’s our understanding that they (the Brewers) are exploring Gilbert as an option for their new spring training facility and we have done some research and had discussions to understand the benefit they could bring to the community,” town spokeswoman Dana Berchman said.
However, both sides were quick to downplay the possibility of a move and no potential locations were disclosed.
“Gilbert is not currently negotiating with the Milwaukee Brewers so there isn’t anything to discuss at this point,” Berchman said.
Quinn said the team was working with the city of Phoenix to stay in Maryvale for the long haul.
The Brewers have played spring training in Maryvale near 51st Avenue and Indian School Road since the stadium opened in 1998.
KTAR News’ Jeremy Foster contributed to this report.
- Phoenix Fire kicks off heat relief campaign with water donation drive
- Memorial Day weekend forecast: Final Phoenix days of sub-100 temperature
- Part of I-10 reopened at 40th Street in Phoenix after large vehicle fire
- Major upgrades planned for Margaret T. Hance Park in Phoenix
- Stanton talks education, what keeps him up at night as resignation nears