Fatal vehicle crash on light rail track causes delays near downtown Phoenix
A fatal crash on the light rail track caused delays Sunday morning along Central Avenue just north of downtown Phoenix.
The service on Central between McDowell Road and Encanto Boulevard was closed until 9:50 a.m. as police investigated the crash that left a pickup truck along the track and the driver dead, a Phoenix Police Department spokesperson said on Twitter.
Police believe the driver had been traveling on the light rail track before he hit a light pole. Police said the driver was pronounced dead at the scene.
The crash occurred before 6 a.m. Sunday morning.
The Associated Press contributed to this story.
- Phoenix officials to use light rail to help homeless people find resources
- Four-vehicle crash closes a portion of eastbound Interstate 10
- 48-year-old Valley man dies in fatal collision in Phoenix
- Arizona state senator recovering after collision with drunk driver in Phoenix
- More than 90 percent of 15M Valley Metro light rail riders pay fares