Fatal vehicle crash on light rail track causes delays near downtown Phoenix
A fatal crash on the light rail track caused delays Sunday morning along Central Avenue just north of downtown Phoenix.
The service on Central between McDowell Road and Encanto Boulevard was closed until 9:50 a.m. as police investigated the crash that left a pickup truck along the track and the driver dead, a Phoenix Police Department spokesperson said on Twitter.
Police believe the driver had been traveling on the light rail track before he hit a light pole. Police said the driver was pronounced dead at the scene.
The crash occurred before 6 a.m. Sunday morning.
The Associated Press contributed to this story.
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- Man struck by light rail in downtown Phoenix, expected to survive
- Valley Metro light rail ridership dropped by 4.4 percent in 2018
- Phoenix light rail riders to bare legs Saturday for annual no-pants event
- Arizona group files suit to keep light rail opponents’ initiative off ballot
- Arizona partygoers will have options to get home safe for New Year’s