Fatal vehicle crash on light rail track causes delays near downtown Phoenix
A fatal crash on the light rail track caused delays Sunday morning along Central Avenue just north of downtown Phoenix.
The service on Central between McDowell Road and Encanto Boulevard was closed until 9:50 a.m. as police investigated the crash that left a pickup truck along the track and the driver dead, a Phoenix Police Department spokesperson said on Twitter.
Police believe the driver had been traveling on the light rail track before he hit a light pole. Police said the driver was pronounced dead at the scene.
The crash occurred before 6 a.m. Sunday morning.
The Associated Press contributed to this story.
- Autopsy: Burns, smoke killed Grand Canyon helicopter crash victims
- SR 260 open after being closed both directions near Payson
- Part of westbound I-10 at US 60 in Tempe blocked due to crash
- Family of woman killed in Tempe self-driving car accident settles with Uber
- Ducey suspends Uber from testing, operating self-driving cars in Arizona