Fatal vehicle crash on light rail track causes delays near downtown Phoenix
A fatal crash on the light rail track caused delays Sunday morning along Central Avenue just north of downtown Phoenix.
The service on Central between McDowell Road and Encanto Boulevard was closed until 9:50 a.m. as police investigated the crash that left a pickup truck along the track and the driver dead, a Phoenix Police Department spokesperson said on Twitter.
Police believe the driver had been traveling on the light rail track before he hit a light pole. Police said the driver was pronounced dead at the scene.
The crash occurred before 6 a.m. Sunday morning.
The Associated Press contributed to this story.
- Arizona DPS trooper injured in crash with impaired driver
- 4 survivors of Arizona helicopter crash still critical, authorities say
- Three die, four survive helicopter crash in the Grand Canyon
- Two Arizona DPS employees injured in I-17 crash; Suspect in custody
- South Phoenix light rail extension includes 11 cultural art installations