A fatal crash on the light rail track caused delays Sunday morning along Central Avenue just north of downtown Phoenix.
The service on Central between McDowell Road and Encanto Boulevard was closed until 9:50 a.m. as police investigated the crash that left a pickup truck along the track and the driver dead, a Phoenix Police Department spokesperson said on Twitter.
Police believe the driver had been traveling on the light rail track before he hit a light pole. Police said the driver was pronounced dead at the scene.
The crash occurred before 6 a.m. Sunday morning.
The Associated Press contributed to this story.
- Chopper crash linked to white nationalist rally
- Phoenix street closed for hours after semi-truck crash spills jet fuel
- DPS: Wrong-way driver killed in wrecks on I-40 in Flagstaff
- Valley Metro looking for artists to help with light rail extension artwork
- Two people die after small plane crashes in Arizona