Suspected arsonist in Coconino County shot and killed Saturday
FOREST LAKES, Ariz. — A man that was accused of setting off multiple fires and shooting at a fire official was shot and killed Saturday, according to Forest Lakes Fire District.
A press release from the Federal Bureau of Investigation said that no officers were injured after the suspect initially fired at the group of a multi-agency law enforcement effort searching for him. Investigators have identified the individual.
John Paxton, the Public Information Officer for the Coconino County Sheriff’s Office, said that the suspect was supposedly shot and killed near the border around Globe.
Earlier in the month, fire crews were searching the area where the fires began on July 3 in the Forest Lakes area when they had an interaction with the alleged arsonist.
“The man was hiding in some bushes, jumped up and actually took shots at the forest service employee,” Rick Crabbs with the Forest Lakes Fire Department said earlier in July. “Fortunately nobody was injured.”
Eight fires that were intentionally set were located by the crews. Photos were initially released of the suspect and then an updated photo was also released of the suspect later on in the process.
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- Elderly woman pronounced dead in south Phoenix house fire
- Suspect injured in first MCSO-involved shooting of 2019
- Pima County sheriff’s deputies to get anti-overdose spray Narcan
- Officials educate Phoenix homeowners about fire prevention during holidays
- Fire roars through mansion south of Phoenix, occupants escape