Changes coming to major Phoenix street for Loop 202 construction
PHOENIX — Pecos Road will shift to an interim alignment and close this weekend for Loop 202 freeway construction, the Arizona Department of Transportation announced.
Pecos Road will close between 17th Avenue and 24th Street from Friday at 10 p.m. to Monday at 5 a.m.
According to a statement from ADOT, the current eastbound lanes of Pecos will be widened and restriped to make room for two lanes of traffic in each direction. The affected area is about four miles long in Ahwatukee.
ADOT said the developer building the South Mountain Freeway moved Pecos to its current configuration to “create a safe work zone for freeway construction while allowing local traffic to continue using Pecos Road.”
The Loop 202 extension is part of a project to “provide a long-planned direct link between the East Valley and West Valley and a much-needed alternative to Interstate 10 through downtown Phoenix.” It will complete the Loop 202 and 101 freeway system.
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- Senate race between Kyrsten Sinema, Martha McSally too close to call
- Arizona freeway restrictions to decrease around the holidays
- Estrella Road interchange on South Mountain Freeway completed
- Developer plans 25-story apartment building in downtown Phoenix
- Fire ruins several Phoenix townhomes under construction