PHOENIX — Pecos Road will shift to an interim alignment and close this weekend for Loop 202 freeway construction, the Arizona Department of Transportation announced.
Pecos Road will close between 17th Avenue and 24th Street from Friday at 10 p.m. to Monday at 5 a.m.
According to a statement from ADOT, the current eastbound lanes of Pecos will be widened and restriped to make room for two lanes of traffic in each direction. The affected area is about four miles long in Ahwatukee.
ADOT said the developer building the South Mountain Freeway moved Pecos to its current configuration to “create a safe work zone for freeway construction while allowing local traffic to continue using Pecos Road.”
The Loop 202 extension is part of a project to “provide a long-planned direct link between the East Valley and West Valley and a much-needed alternative to Interstate 10 through downtown Phoenix.” It will complete the Loop 202 and 101 freeway system.
- ADOT changes lettering on freeway signs in Phoenix-area
- I-10 ramps to I-17 will be closed in Phoenix this weekend
- Southbound Interstate 17 in Phoenix to see overnight closures this week
- South Mountain Freeway construction will close I-10 in Phoenix again
- Phoenix police searching for suspect who shot at officers