Dave Ramsey says: Renter should talk to attorney about owners foreclosure
I’ve been living in a rental house for some time now. I was just told by the owners that the house is being foreclosed on next week.
I’ve tried to call and email them, but haven’t heard anything back. Should I go ahead and pay rent for this month?
The bottom line in a situation like this is: You’re giving them money and they’re not paying the bills.
I wouldn’t give the owners another dime until they return your phone calls or talk to you in person and let you know the details as to what’s going on with the house you’re living in.
In the meantime, I’d advise speaking with an attorney and a real estate professional in your area to find out exactly what your rights are at this point.
Many places require a 30-day notice before renters are required to vacate a property.
Good luck, John!
- Dave Ramsey says: Teach teen how to budget money sooner rather than later
- Dave Ramsey says: Stick with plan, start emergency reserves with refund
- Many cancer patients juggle care along with financial pain
- Dave Ramsey says: If there’s no money to splurge on gift, bow out of promise
- Dave Ramsey says: Here’s how to sell a vehicle with a high lien amount