Dave Ramsey says: Renter should talk to attorney about owners foreclosure
I’ve been living in a rental house for some time now. I was just told by the owners that the house is being foreclosed on next week.
I’ve tried to call and email them, but haven’t heard anything back. Should I go ahead and pay rent for this month?
The bottom line in a situation like this is: You’re giving them money and they’re not paying the bills.
I wouldn’t give the owners another dime until they return your phone calls or talk to you in person and let you know the details as to what’s going on with the house you’re living in.
In the meantime, I’d advise speaking with an attorney and a real estate professional in your area to find out exactly what your rights are at this point.
Many places require a 30-day notice before renters are required to vacate a property.
Good luck, John!
- Dave Ramsey says: Rid yourself of debt in 18 months with tight budget
- Dave Ramsey says: Stick to wedding plans, tackle debt together
- Dave Ramsey says: Prepaid debit cards teach kids wrong message
- Dave Ramsey says: Baby Step 3 is for emergencies, not income stopgap
- Dave Ramsey says: Give freeloading brother-in-law lesson in adulthood