2 dead, including gunman, after shooting at New York hospital
Two people died and six others were wounded at a New York City hospital Friday when a doctor who had worked there shot them with a rifle before apparently killing himself.
Gunfire broke out at 2:50 p.m. Eastern time inside the Bronx Lebanon Hospital. NBC News New York reported the hospital was in lockdown.
The suspect was identified by law enforcement as Dr. Henry Bello.
There were early reports that at least three people had been shot.
Police had gone floor to floor searching for the suspect. A former police officer told NBC News York that the suspect was wearing a white lab coat, such as the type worn by doctors.
People were seen leaving the hospital with their hands in the air and police were visible on rooftops.
Streets were blocked off by dozens of officers.
The 120-year-old hospital is little over a mile north of Yankee Stadium.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Health insurance open enrollment faces final day
- Phoenix police bring in suspect, return stolen packages
- Phoenix man forced to eat marijuana by police settles suit for $100K
- Chandler police offers free service to watch homes during holiday vacations
- Door problem delays Arizona test drop of Orion spacecraft replica