3-year-old accidentally shot at Chandler home dies in hospital
PHOENIX — A 3-year-old girl who was accidentally shot at home in the Phoenix area has died and her father has been arrested, according to police.
Chandler Police detective Seth Tyler said child was shot in the family’s house near Ray and Alma School roads Thursday night. She died in a hospital Friday.
“We don’t see this as anything that was preplanned,” Tyler said.
Both parents were home when the shooting occurred. A woman called 911 to report the shooting.
The child’s father, Eric Sands, 33, was jailed on charges of being a prohibited possessor of a handgun and possession of dangerous drugs.
Some felons cannot possess a handgun.
Police were still investigating.
“Things for this family and for really, that neighborhood, changed so quickly. It’s so important when we are handling firearms that we treat every firearm as if it was loaded and keep our children away from loaded firearms,” Tyler said.
KTAR News’ Ashley Flood contributed to this report.
- Main Street Minute: Free golf for girls clinic set for Phoenix course
- Latinos in Arizona spent $42B on consumer goods in 2016, study finds
- Phoenix ranks best city in nation for fall weather, survey finds
- Arizona tourism office, Chicago Cubs team up to bring Chicagoans to Valley
- Arizona-built spacecraft to slingshot around Earth on Friday