3-year-old accidentally shot at Chandler home dies in hospital
PHOENIX — A 3-year-old girl who was accidentally shot at home in the Phoenix area has died and her father has been arrested, according to police.
Chandler Police detective Seth Tyler said child was shot in the family’s house near Ray and Alma School roads Thursday night. She died in a hospital Friday.
“We don’t see this as anything that was preplanned,” Tyler said.
Both parents were home when the shooting occurred. A woman called 911 to report the shooting.
The child’s father, Eric Sands, 33, was jailed on charges of being a prohibited possessor of a handgun and possession of dangerous drugs.
Some felons cannot possess a handgun.
Police were still investigating.
“Things for this family and for really, that neighborhood, changed so quickly. It’s so important when we are handling firearms that we treat every firearm as if it was loaded and keep our children away from loaded firearms,” Tyler said.
KTAR News’ Ashley Flood contributed to this report.
- Gunman in France takes hostages in supermarket, suspect among dead
- Students planning March for Our Lives events across Arizona
- Utah couple gives birth to quintuplets at Phoenix hospital
- Maricopa County was fastest-growing county in US from 2016-2017
- Another I-10 ramp to close for South Mountain Freeway construction