3-year-old accidentally shot at Chandler home dies in hospital
PHOENIX — A 3-year-old girl who was accidentally shot at home in the Phoenix area has died and her father has been arrested, according to police.
Chandler Police detective Seth Tyler said child was shot in the family’s house near Ray and Alma School roads Thursday night. She died in a hospital Friday.
“We don’t see this as anything that was preplanned,” Tyler said.
Both parents were home when the shooting occurred. A woman called 911 to report the shooting.
The child’s father, Eric Sands, 33, was jailed on charges of being a prohibited possessor of a handgun and possession of dangerous drugs.
Some felons cannot possess a handgun.
Police were still investigating.
“Things for this family and for really, that neighborhood, changed so quickly. It’s so important when we are handling firearms that we treat every firearm as if it was loaded and keep our children away from loaded firearms,” Tyler said.
KTAR News’ Ashley Flood contributed to this report.
- Phoenix restaurant Coup Des Tartes to permanently close its doors
- Arizona plan to combat opioids would limit dosages, amounts
- Arizona has just 21 foster families for refugee children
- Joe Arpaio files appeal to undo contempt of court conviction
- Families of Florence children exposed to tear gas file lawsuit against state