Share this story...
Latest News

The Latest: Lawyer expects officers to support suit’s claim

BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) — The Latest on the family of a black man gunned down by a white police officer in Louisiana filing a lawsuit (all times local):

10:20 a.m.

An attorney for a relative of a black man who was shot and killed by a white police officer in Louisiana’s capital says he expects current and former Baton Rouge police officers to come forward and support allegations that the department has a history of racist behavior and excessive force.

L. Chris Stewart, who represents one of Alton Sterling’s five children, said Tuesday that the officers will be questioned under oath for the family’s lawsuit against the city, its police department and chief, and the two officers involved in the July 2016 shooting. Stewart said the officers “have said something is wrong and it must stop.”

The children of the 37-year-old Sterling filed a lawsuit Tuesday in state court, saying their father’s shooting fit a pattern of racist behavior and excessive force by the city’s police officers.

___

This item has been corrected to show that L. Chris Stewart represents one of Alton Sterling’s children, not all five.

___

9:45 a.m.

The children of a black man who was gunned down by a white police officer in Louisiana have sued the city, claiming the shooting fit a pattern of racist behavior and excessive force by its officers.

Attorneys for Alton Sterling’s five children filed the wrongful death lawsuit Tuesday in state court against the city of Baton Rouge, its police department and police chief and the two officers involved in last July’s deadly encounter.

The Justice Department investigated Sterling’s shooting and announced last month that it will not file charges against either officer.

The family’s lawsuit claims Officer Blane Salamoni’s shooting of Sterling was the product of poor training and inadequate police procedures.

Two cellphone videos of the July 5 shooting quickly spread on social media, setting off nightly protests.

___

8:40 a.m.

Relatives of a black man who was gunned down by a white police officer in Louisiana’s capital are suing the city, claiming the shooting fit a pattern of racist behavior and excessive force by its police force.

Attorneys for Alton Sterling’s five children planned to file a wrongful death lawsuit Tuesday in state court against the city of Baton Rouge, its police department and police chief and the two officers involved in last July’s deadly encounter.

The Justice Department investigated Sterling’s shooting and announced last month that it will not file charges against either officer.

The family’s lawsuit claims Officer Blane Salamoni’s shooting of Sterling was the product of poor training and inadequate police procedures.

Two cellphone videos of the July 5 shooting quickly spread on social media, setting off nightly protests.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.