Phoenix serial street shootings suspect faces Dec. 14 trial
PHOENIX — A December trial date has been set in Phoenix for the man accused of one murder but was a suspect in several other fatal street shootings.
Aaron Juan Saucedo appeared in court Monday, when his trial was scheduled to begin Dec. 14. He has been charged with the killing of 61-year-old Raul Romero, his mother’s boyfriend but is the primary suspect in eight other killings.
Charges haven’t yet been filed in those crimes.
Saucedo was taken into custody and booked in early May. He was arrested in connection with Romero’s August 2015 death near Seventh Street and Bethany Home Road.
Police dubbed the killings the work of the “Phoenix serial street shooter.”
As he did in his initial appearance May 9, Saucedo said very little Monday, giving only his name and birth date.
Saucedo had already pleaded not guilty to the charge and proclaimed his innocence. He remained in jail.
Police have said the victims were attacked as they stood outside their homes or sat in vehicles after dark. They were fired upon by someone who was sitting in a car or had just stepped out of a vehicle.
Most of the killings took place in the city’s Maryvale neighborhood.
Outside court, Saucedo’s attorney, Dean Roskosz, declined to comment on the case.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Poll shows Arizona split on support for President Trump
- Arizona DPS head talks challenges in recruiting young, diverse applicants
- Judge halts newest Trump travel ban, saying it has same woes
- Child killed, six others injured in rollover accident on I-10
- FBI warning Arizonans of ‘virtual kidnapping’ phone scam