Zack Greinke, Chandler Jones land on list of highest-paid athletes
PHOENIX — There are plenty of athletes across the globe making large sums of money and two of them are in the Valley.
Arizona Diamondbacks starting pitcher Zack Greinke ranked 67th on Forbes’ list of the world’s highest-paid athletes and Arizona Cardinals pass rusher Chandler Jones ranked 76th.
Greinke’s salary will be $24.1 million this year according to Forbes, a part of his six-year, $206.5 million deal with the D-backs signed in 2015. They listed $50,000 in endorsements.
The 27-year-old Jones has a salary of $22.8 million this year. He signed a five-year, $82 million deal with the Cardinals after the 2016 season.
Athletes with Arizona ties also making an apperance on the list are former Sun Devil James Harden at nine, golfer Phil Mickelson at 12th and former No. 1 overall pick of the D-backs Justin Upton checking in at 82nd.
Real Madrid soccer superstar Cristiano Ronaldo was first on the list at a total of $93 million. The $35 million Forbes has Ronaldo making on endorsements is more than Greinke and Jones’ own salaries. Ronaldo’s salary and winnings are listed at $58 million.
- Arizona counties want more funds for Mexican wolf recovery
- Free personal finance classes can help you avoid expensive mistakes
- Woman accused of multiple instances of identity theft in Phoenix area
- High salaries make Arizona one of top 10 places in US for nurses
- Arizona teachers continue ‘walk-ins’ as strike vote outcome looms