Video shows wrong-way driver before fatal Phoenix freeway wreck
PHOENIX — Video released Thursday showed a wrong-way driver just minutes before he smashed head-on into another car on a Phoenix freeway.
Arizona Department of Public Safety video first showed a car driving erratically at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport. The driver, later identified as 56-year-old Ronald Wayne Mollenhauer, appeared to speed down a drop-off lane before nearly striking a pedestrian, who gave him a dirty look.
Mollenhauer then appeared to park on the top story of a parking garage for a short time before proceeding down the ramp.
Mollenhauer then exited the structure and sped under a barrier gate at a pay booth.
The video then showed Mollenhauer driving on the wrong side of the road on Sky Harbor Boulevard. It ended with him heading the wrong-way on Interstate 10.
Mollenhauer struck another car head-on several minutes later on State Route 51. Two people, including Mollenhauer, were killed in the collision. A third person was injured.
Ducey said he wanted DPS and other agencies to increase enforcement and public awareness of the problem. He also ordered that a planned pilot program involving new technology be accelerated and broadened.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- With storms coming, Arizona firefighters rescue dog from drain
- More Arizona gubernatorial candidates face off on Think Tank
- Police release video of Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim’s DUI arrest
- Arizona Democratic governor hopefuls debate immigration, schools
- Gov. Doug Ducey says calls to abolish ICE are ‘election year rallying cry’