PHOENIX — Two wildfires in southern Arizona have forced evacuation of at least one small town, authorities said.
By Thursday morning, a fire near Sonoita and another near Fort Bowie National Historic Site had gobbled up more than 3,400 acres and residents in Dragoon had been forced out. The Smith Fire burning close to Sonoita has destroyed close to 1,800 acres.
A lightning strike Wednesday evening caused that fire.
The Smith Fire, which started Wednesday afternoon, was 75 percent contained.
Authorities said they have no reports of structures being lost.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- ADOT begins wrong-way vehicle detection project on I-17, closures set
- After promise, Phoenix preschoolers marry each other 20 years later
- Three Arizona inmates found guilty of trying to kill jail guard
- Silver Alert canceled for missing man from Surprise
- Phoenix libraries hosting program to learn about solar eclipse