PHOENIX — A crash involving a motorcycle closed the westbound U.S. 60 at the Loop 101 on Monday, about an hour before rush hour typically begins.
The Arizona Department of Transportation said all traffic was being diverted onto the northbound Loop 101. The U.S. 60 reopened at around 5 p.m.
Drivers were encouraged to use alternate routes, including the Loop 202.
The Arizona Department of Public Safety said it appeared the motorcycle rider lost control and crashed. The rider was not wearing a helmet and was seriously injured.
Eastbound traffic was not affected by the crash.
- Extra restrictions in place for Phoenix area freeways this weekend
- ADOT begins wrong-way vehicle detection project on I-17, closures set
- Mesa man arrested, accused of using stolen identity of brother for 28 years
- Wrong-way accident shuts down Interstate 17 near Phoenix
- SR 51 will have restrictions in Phoenix this weekend