Dave Ramsey says: Move leftover money in envelope budget system to next month
When you use the envelope system, what should you do with any leftover money?
My suggestion would be to carry it over to the next month.
Lots of folks don’t use all the money in their clothing envelope during a month. There’s nothing wrong with letting a little extra build up in one of your categories if you don’t spend it all in a given month or two.
You should be hitting the budget pretty close each month on categories like food. Getting out of debt and managing your money wisely doesn’t mean going hungry.
If you do end up with a little left over in the food envelope, treat yourself to a nice dinner out, or buy something that’s food-oriented.
But it’s OK to carry a few categories over from month to month. Just make sure you don’t get crazy and blow that money on something outside the intended category, or on stuff you really don’t need.
- Astrologers discover new type of ‘Zombie Star’ supernovae
- Dave Ramsey says: Parents shouldn’t feel obligated to help kids pay off debts
- 7 tips for spending less money, more time together this Thanksgiving
- Woman gets 2 years in prison for defrauding Arizona Medicaid program
- Dave Ramsey says: Single people can pave solid financial path by saving