Salvation Army opens hydration stations as Phoenix temperatures climb
PHOENIX — The Salvation Army opened its hydration stations around the Valley on Monday as the area dealt with its longest stretch of prolonged heat this year.
In a press release, the agency said it would open 14 office lobbies where people can get water and hang out indoors to cool off between the hours of 11 a.m. and 5 p.m.:
- Apache Junction Corps, near Old West Highway and Royal Palm Road
- Chandler Corps, near Arizona Avenue and Pecos Road
- Eastlake Park, near Jefferson and 16th streets in Phoenix
- Estrella Mountain Corps, near Central and Western avenues in Avondale
- Glendale Corps, near Northern and 61st avenues
- Mesa Corps, near Mesa and University drives
- Phoenix Central Corps, near 16th Street and Campbell Avenue
- Phoenix Citadel Corps, near Third Avenue and McKinley Street
- Phoenix Kroc Center, near 14th Street and Broadway Road
- Phoenix Maryvale Corps, near 43rd Avenue and Indian School Road
- Sun Cities West Valley Corps, near Bell Road and Avenue of the Arts in Surprise
- Tempe Corps, near Mill Avenue and University Drive
- Valley of the Sun Korean Corps, near Grand and 61st avenues in Glendale
The Salvation Army’s Family Services Department near 24th and Van Buren streets would be open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
In addition to the 14 locations, the agency said it would deploy a mobile unit to some parts of the Valley.
The Salvation Army was also collecting sunscreen, lip balm, hats, bandanas and water bottles to pass out to those in need. Monetary donations were also accepted.
Last month, the city of Phoenix also opened multiple hydration stations.
Phoenix was under an excessive heat warning through Wednesday night. Temperatures were forecast to be as high as 109 degrees.
- Protesters for March for Our Lives take to the streets of Phoenix
- Utah couple gives birth to quintuplets at Phoenix hospital
- Another I-10 ramp to close for South Mountain Freeway construction
- Crash shuts down part of US 93, slows traffic between Phoenix and Las Vegas
- This neighborhood has fastest rising rents, home values in Phoenix area