Brush fire closes northbound lanes of I-17 north of Phoenix area
PHOENIX — A brush fire closed the northbound lanes of Interstate 17 north of the Phoenix area on Thursday afternoon, the Arizona Department of Transportation said.
The roadway reopened at about 5 p.m. By 5:30, delays still persisted for 12 miles and the right lane remained closed.
The freeway was closed at milepost 256, about four miles north of the Sunset Point Rest Area.
Delays were reported as far south as Cordes Lakes.
Drivers were encouraged to avoid travel or find a different route, if possible.
The 50-acre Badger Fire was moving toward the northeast. Some power lines were threatened.
Multiple engines, crews and helicopters were responding to the scene.
The cause of the fire was under investigation.
- Ex-Phoenix Fire captain gets prison in sexual assault case
- Agency wants public input on widening I-17 north of Phoenix
- Arizona DPS trooper injured in I-17 crash gets visit from K9 partner
- US Supreme Court to consider Arizona age discrimination suit
- Yuma Fire Department saves money by building own ambulance