Brush fire closes northbound lanes of I-17 north of Phoenix area
PHOENIX — A brush fire closed the northbound lanes of Interstate 17 north of the Phoenix area on Thursday afternoon, the Arizona Department of Transportation said.
The roadway reopened at about 5 p.m. By 5:30, delays still persisted for 12 miles and the right lane remained closed.
The freeway was closed at milepost 256, about four miles north of the Sunset Point Rest Area.
Delays were reported as far south as Cordes Lakes.
Drivers were encouraged to avoid travel or find a different route, if possible.
The 50-acre Badger Fire was moving toward the northeast. Some power lines were threatened.
Multiple engines, crews and helicopters were responding to the scene.
The cause of the fire was under investigation.
- No evidence of arson in fire that damaged Bisbee City Hall
- YouTube video shows how firefighters battle deadly California wildfires
- Arizona law enforcement agencies seek to recruit young people
- 9-year-old boy saves self, dog from Phoenix house fire
- Federal authorities begin investigation into cause of Bisbee City Hall fire