Former Arizona police officer gets 5 years in prison for smuggling marijuana
PHOENIX — A former southern Arizona police officer was sentenced to five years in prison Wednesday for smuggling more than 220 pounds of marijuana.
Former Douglas Police Sgt. Theodore Kulkens was arrested in December for transporting 224 pounds of the drug from Douglas to Tucson.
His arrest came less than one month after he was sentenced to probation on an unrelated theft charge.
Kulkens pleaded guilty to one charge of transportation of marijuana for sale. His probation was revoked and he will serve concurrent jail time.
He also owes $14,991 in restitution to the Douglas Police Department.
- Surprise police failed to notify residents of 22 sex offenders in area
- Man shot, arrested after running from police in West Valley
- Thieves steal puppies worth thousands from Phoenix-area pet store
- Blue Alert canceled after man who allegedly dragged cop surrenders
- Former Mesa officer arrested in 1995 child molestation case