PHOENIX — A former southern Arizona police officer was sentenced to five years in prison Wednesday for smuggling more than 220 pounds of marijuana.
Former Douglas Police Sgt. Theodore Kulkens was arrested in December for transporting 224 pounds of the drug from Douglas to Tucson.
His arrest came less than one month after he was sentenced to probation on an unrelated theft charge.
Kulkens pleaded guilty to one charge of transportation of marijuana for sale. His probation was revoked and he will serve concurrent jail time.
He also owes $14,991 in restitution to the Douglas Police Department.
- Phoenix-area police searching for man impersonating an officer
- Scottsdale man dies suddenly after bloody visit with elderly parents
- Man accused of urinating on family during Phoenix-area Metallica concert
- 1 killed, 3 hurt in head-on car collision on Phoenix street
- Police looking for family’s stolen goods [RE-BROADCAST OF 11/19/2012]