Former Arizona police officer gets 5 years in prison for smuggling marijuana
PHOENIX — A former southern Arizona police officer was sentenced to five years in prison Wednesday for smuggling more than 220 pounds of marijuana.
Former Douglas Police Sgt. Theodore Kulkens was arrested in December for transporting 224 pounds of the drug from Douglas to Tucson.
His arrest came less than one month after he was sentenced to probation on an unrelated theft charge.
Kulkens pleaded guilty to one charge of transportation of marijuana for sale. His probation was revoked and he will serve concurrent jail time.
He also owes $14,991 in restitution to the Douglas Police Department.
- Flagstaff cop who punched woman in video indicted again for assault
- Off Central: Valley girls take part in first responder preparedness course
- Superintendent Douglas says Arizona law would allow armed teachers
- Phoenix police looking for pair who put skimmer on gas station ATM
- Three killed in shootings by Phoenix-area law enforcement on Friday