Former Arizona police officer gets 5 years in prison for smuggling marijuana
PHOENIX — A former southern Arizona police officer was sentenced to five years in prison Wednesday for smuggling more than 220 pounds of marijuana.
Former Douglas Police Sgt. Theodore Kulkens was arrested in December for transporting 224 pounds of the drug from Douglas to Tucson.
His arrest came less than one month after he was sentenced to probation on an unrelated theft charge.
Kulkens pleaded guilty to one charge of transportation of marijuana for sale. His probation was revoked and he will serve concurrent jail time.
He also owes $14,991 in restitution to the Douglas Police Department.
- Mesa man arrested for impersonating officer; tried to pull over troopers
- Silver Alert canceled for previously missing 81-year-old man
- Navajo community still uneasy after gang members arrested
- County prosecutors clear Gilbert police in fatal shooting of detention officer
- Study finds racial bias in Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office traffic stops