PHOENIX — When it’s time for big-city Arizonans to get out of town and find that relaxing getaway far from the go-go-go atmosphere of the Valley, there are a number of options.
The best of the best?
Thrillist, naming the best small town in each state, believes that place is Sedona. With a population just north of 10,200, the red rocks surrounding town and artsy feel in it are hard to beat.
Arizona’s red rock playground offers seriously breathtaking desert landscapes best enjoyed on a hike or a climb, and a walk around town mingling with kooky-but-kind locals. Then take off your boots and zen out with a massage and a guided meditation session at one of Sedona’s many spas. Binge on top-notch tamales from Tamaliza or gussied-up carne asada at Elote Cafe. When you start itching for a punchier after-hours scene, the very-hip Flagstaff is less than an hour down the road.
Where else does Thrillist suggest going to get away from the traffic-congested cities across the United States?
Telluride, Colo.; St. Augustine, Fla.; Stillwater, Minn.; Portsmouth, N.H.; Hudson, N.Y.; Hood River, Ore.; and San Luis Obispo, Calif. are among the other best (relatively) tiny towns in each state.
- Tempe’s Carvana ranked top-50 in America’s fastest-growing companies
- Arizona Rep. Trent Franks believes Trump will pardon Arpaio, supports it
- Phoenix’s main library will be shut down for nearly a year
- Theme park resort villages approved for development near Phoenix
- Tempe police, federal agents haul in 30,000 fentanyl pills during traffic stop