CHETEK, Wis. (AP) — The Barron County Sheriff’s Department has released initial damage estimates from a tornado that tore through the Chetek area of northwestern Wisconsin last week.
The department said Sunday that the storm damaged 231 homes and four commercial properties across the county, though those numbers are likely to change. The storm caused about $10 million in damages, not including damage to trees. That includes $5 million to personal property and the rest to commercial property.
One man was killed and about two dozen others were injured when the twister struck Tuesday evening.
The Chetek Chamber of Commerce says it’ll continue providing services as long as they have volunteers and a need. It is looking for people to do physical labor such as raking and excavating, food preparation and delivery, office work and other tasks.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Trump supporter reportedly shouts death wish of Sen. John McCain
- Drawing nears for Powerball jackpot that’s climbed to $700M
- Mexican soldiers seize 140 pounds of fentanyl near Arizona border
- Pence says Confederate statues are state, local decision
- Twitter reacts to solar eclipse and it’s pretty funny