Gilbert names Mesa assistant to lead police department
PHOENIX — After a weekslong national search, the Gilbert Police Department found its new chief right next door.
Michael Soelberg, assistant chief of Mesa Police, was named to the post Friday.
Soelberg will fill the vacancy created when Tim Dorn retired in March after 41 years on the force.
Commander Randy Brice has served as interim chief.
Soelberg joined the Mesa department in 1995 but is no stranger to his new East Valley surroundings.
“I have lived in Gilbert for over 21 years,” he said in a statement. “I have seen Gilbert grow from a small community to a large thriving community. … As Gilbert continues to grow, we need to ensure that the police department keeps up with this growth.”
He takes office June 5.
- Arizona firefighters resign en masse over city’s new staffing policy
- Three Valley cities ranked among top 10 most prosperous in America
- Wet n’ Wild Phoenix hiring 500 people ahead of seasonal opening
- Phoenix leaders, police union chief disagree on staffing situation
- 5 Phoenix Fire employees join list of personnel disciplined for library flood