Gilbert names Mesa assistant to lead police department
PHOENIX — After a weekslong national search, the Gilbert Police Department found its new chief right next door.
Michael Soelberg, assistant chief of Mesa Police, was named to the post Friday.
Soelberg will fill the vacancy created when Tim Dorn retired in March after 41 years on the force.
Commander Randy Brice has served as interim chief.
Soelberg joined the Mesa department in 1995 but is no stranger to his new East Valley surroundings.
“I have lived in Gilbert for over 21 years,” he said in a statement. “I have seen Gilbert grow from a small community to a large thriving community. … As Gilbert continues to grow, we need to ensure that the police department keeps up with this growth.”
He takes office June 5.
- Watch as Gilbert mayor, police officer rock out in ‘Carpool Karaoke’
- Mesa mayor makes pitch to Amazon for second headquarters
- Phoenix-area city ranked best in nation to buy family home
- Analysis shows Phoenix one of better foodie cities in country
- City Hall catches fire in small Arizona town of Bisbee