PHOENIX — After a weekslong national search, the Gilbert Police Department found its new chief right next door.
Michael Soelberg, assistant chief of Mesa Police, was named to the post Friday.
Soelberg will fill the vacancy created when Tim Dorn retired in March after 41 years on the force.
Commander Randy Brice has served as interim chief.
Soelberg joined the Mesa department in 1995 but is no stranger to his new East Valley surroundings.
“I have lived in Gilbert for over 21 years,” he said in a statement. “I have seen Gilbert grow from a small community to a large thriving community. … As Gilbert continues to grow, we need to ensure that the police department keeps up with this growth.”
He takes office June 5.
- Phoenix’s main library will be shut down for nearly a year
- Theme park resort villages approved for development near Phoenix
- Mesa police officer dies in off-duty motorcycle accident
- Gilbert woman born without uterus raising funds for surgery
- Phoenix Children’s, Dignity Health to open new facility in East Valley