PHOENIX — The former U.S. House Intelligence Committee chair and a former Arizona attorney general sit on either side of the political aisle.
But they both agree former FBI Director Robert Mueller was the right choice serve as special counsel into possible meddling by Russia in the recent president election.
“Robert Mueller is a good guy,” former U.S. Rep. Pete Hoekstra (R-Mich.) told KTAR News 92.3 FM’s Arizona’s Morning News on Thursday.
Grant Woods, who served as a special prosecutor in several Arizona cases after serving as the state’s attorney general, agreed.
“I think this was a great move and he (Deputy U.S. Attorney General Rod Rosenstein) picked the right guy,” he told KTAR News 92.3 FM’s Bruce St. James and Pamela Hughes on Thursday.
Hoekstra said he doesn’t feel the investigation needs special counsel, but if the hyperpartisan atmosphere in Washington, D.C. has made it necessary, Mueller is a good pick.
“If the job is going to be filled, Mueller is a good person to be in the job. He’ll do it and he’ll do it professionally.”
The Mueller pick was announced Wednesday. He has been tasked with carrying on the investigation that former FBI Director James Comey told Congress about before he was fired by President Donald Trump.
That includes any links between Trump campaign associates and Russia, as well as “any matters that arose or may arise directly from the investigation,” according to the letter appointing him.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Judge will reconsider ruling blocking Trump’s sanctuary cities order
- McCain says Manchester bombing a ‘reminder that the world is on fire’
- Budget seeks end to subsidized student loans, forgiveness
- Trump labels people behind Manchester bombing ‘evil losers in life’
- Arizona congressman expects major tax code rewrite by end of year