PHOENIX — A high school southeast of Phoenix has scrambled to recall its yearbook, which included over a dozen quotes deemed inappropriate and offensive.
The principal at Poston Butte High School in San Tan Valley apologized Wednesday to parents in a post on Facebook and in email.
Quotes that slipped past editors included, “If you have never thought about dropping out and becoming a stripper once, you’re lying.”
There were over a dozen risque comments in the book.
The Florence Unified School District said in a statement the yearbook sponsor had been relieved of duties. The district’s letter also said in the future better measures would be put in place to prevent a repeat.
San Tan Valley News reported the unidentified yearbook supervisor apologized:
Words cannot express how deeply sorry I am about my negligence regarding the 2017 yearbook and portraying Poston Butte in a negative light. I accept full responsibility for the content of the yearbook. I thank Mr. Tannenbaum and district officials for assisting me in reaching out to the student body, parents, and community. Again, I am truly sorry for my poor judgment, lack of professionalism, and negative impact on the school.”
Over 450 yearbooks had already been purchased for $75 apiece. They were distributed May 12.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Ruling: Crime areas, others’ actions don’t justify Arizona police frisks
- Arizona officials encouraging education to battle opioid epidemic
- Phoenix ranks eighth in nation in startup business activity
- Supervisors approve tentative $2.49B budget for Maricopa County
- Ringing in summer: Saturn returning to Arizona skies in May and June