LAS VEGAS (AP) — The Latest on the death of an unarmed man in Las Vegas after an officer used a neck hold banned in many cities. (all times local):
Las Vegas police say an officer used a stun gun seven times and an unapproved neck hold on a man in a deadly chase at a casino over the weekend.
Clark County Undersheriff Kevin McMahill said Wednesday that an officer reported that he thought the man was trying to carjack a pickup truck before the officer used the stun gun and choking technique to subdue him early Sunday at The Venetian.
Authorities say 40-year-old Toshii Brown led the officer on a foot chase and shook off the effects of the stun gun and punches.
McMahill said the officer was heard on a body camera recording saying he used a “rear naked choke,” a prominent mixed martial arts technique.
it could take several weeks for a ruling on Brown’s cause of death.
Police in Las Vegas are due to report about the weekend death of an unarmed man after an officer used a neck hold on him that is banned in many cities.
A Wednesday briefing comes amid questions about the number of times Las Vegas police use the technique that critics call a chokehold.
The department approves its use and reports it was used an average of more than once a week during the last five years, including 51 times last year.
In Los Angeles, by comparison, the arm-around-the-neck technique is considered lethal force.
Police there reported using it seven times over those same five years, including twice last year.
New York City banned the practice in 1993 — years before the death of Eric Garner spurred a national debate about police brutality.
- Tucson shooting memorial picks up $61K from National Park Service
- Trump weighing options as travel ban nears expiration date
- Department of Justice faces deadline over Arpaio’s pardon legal action
- Con artists selling water filters target Mesa neighborhood
- Jake LaMotta, boxer who inspired ‘Raging Bull,’ dies at 95