Arizona native Emma Stone to portray Billie Jean King in ‘Battle of the Sexes’
She’s fresh off her first Academy Award win, but it looks like Arizona native Emma Stone is already working on earning her second Oscar.
The actress was set to play Billie Jean King in the upcoming film “Battle of the Sexes,” which would tell the story of the legendary tennis match between King and Bobby Riggs — played by Steve Carell.
Stone dropped her signature red locks for King’s dark curls. The actress also donned a pair of rounded glasses to complete the look.
For those who are unaware, the Battle of the Sexes King-Riggs tennis match took place in 1973. What was the first contest between male and female champions — Riggs, a known hustler, had come out of retirement and had already defeated top-ranked Margaret Court — sparked a global conversation on gender equality and was a spark of the feminist movement.
The film is scheduled to be released Sept. 22.
Stone won an Oscar earlier this year for her role in “La La Land.”
The 28-year-old has had a successful film career already. She won a Golden Globe Award for the same performance in “La La Land” and has been nominated for two Oscars.
Stone was born and raised in Scottsdale and pursued acting throughout her time in the Valley. She attended Xavier College Preparatory, an all-female private high school in Phoenix before dropping out at 15 and moving to Los Angeles with her mother.
- Scottsdale native Emma Stone leads Forbes’ highest-paid actresses list
- Trailer released for movie about Boston Marathon bombing victim
- ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ movie to hit theaters, trailer released
- Emma Stone sends corsage, boutonniere to Phoenix teen who asked her to prom
- Two women with Arizona ties make Time’s 100 most influential people of year list