PHOENIX — An analysis of various “career-friendliness indicators” found that Tempe, Ariz. is among WalletHub’s “Best Places to Start a Career” for 2017.
The college town and suburb of Phoenix ranked fifth overall on the list which uses a single numerical score to rank the 150 largest cities in the U.S. The highest score possible was 100, where 70 possible points were awarded for criteria regarding “professional opportunities,” and the other 30 points were awarded for metrics measuring “quality of life.”
Tempe finished 19th in the professional opportunities ranking but third place in the nation for quality of life.
According to a report by the city itself, the top five employers in Tempe for 2016 were Arizona State University, Wells Fargo, State Farm, US Airways and SRP.
The list also featured the overall ranking of Arizona’s other big cities, like Scottsdale (No. 18), Chandler (No. 40), Mesa (No. 64), Gilbert (No. 77), Peoria (No. 83), Glendale (No. 87), Phoenix (No. 95) and Tucson (No. 101).
The worst place to start a career, according WalletHub, is Newark, New Jersey.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Celebrate National Burger Day with best bacon burger in Arizona
- Walmart announces 4,400 veteran hires in Arizona since 2013
- Mother Road Brewing Co. named most underrated brewery in Arizona by Thrillist
- Tempe police: Arrests made in drug-linked shooting deaths
- Bashas’ announces finalists for doughnut flavor contest